SEMOLINA LADOO SWEETS WITH COCONUT AND ARABIC GUM

Thursday, November 19, 2020


As dreams start finding reality, I am humbled to the beginnings of my knowledge and thankful for my un-satiated desire to learn. Food and it’s celebration was a gift I grew up with. A precious joy that was handed down to me by my two grandmothers and most importantly, my mother. All my best memories of childhood revolve around a dining table, walking into my home or my grandmother’s homes and being hit with the aromas of home cooked warmth, greeted with smiles and a heart full of love. Feeding me seemed to give them the greatest delight. The happiness they felt knowing I had eaten more than I could cope with always was the reason for my never saying no – nothing can compare to the joy in a Asian’s mother’s face when she sees a plate wiped clean with your last piece of chappati. My most endearing memories of my late grandmother’s was the excitement with which they created a meal – that their entire day would be meaningful from just that. My mother still cooks me  hearty soul satisfying meals with the joy reminiscent of my grandmothers…

Though there is one aroma that transports me to a time of childhood glee and recklessness, a time of endless days and lazy afternoons – the smell of semolina fried gently in ghee and cardamom. One of the simplest desserts of Pakistan is Semolina Halva, and my Nani rejoiced in making this dish, I remember well that she would add  nuts in it – which at the time I abhorred, however with time and experience I have learnt to appreciate the earthiness and sweetness they add – I share my recipe for a Pakistani laddo (a round shaped sweet) – made with pistachios, semolina, coconut and Arabic gum – this edible gum is found in most Asian food stores and my mother always adds this, it is meant to give bones strength – based on a old Lucknowi recipe that my Dadi’s family had been making for centuries. I have now improvised this and added coconut, as the original recipe does not call for it. It is said that edible gum is strengthening and  gives strength to women after pregnancy, the ailing and children as well. But these can be enjoyed as an after dinner treat or even with tea..

I dedicate this recipe  to my late grandmothers who instilled a burning passion for cooking Pakistani food that grows within me and most of all to my wonderful mother who has not only channelled my love for cooking but taught me all that there is to know about life, food and honouring your heritage. She is the one who has helped me find my way to a place where I have something to give back to others who celebrate the adoration of food and what joy it brings to life.  Thank you Mummy x

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes about 10 pieces, depending on size

Ingredients:

150 – 200 g semolina
80 g  desiccated coconut,  keep a little aside for rolling
115 g  caster sugar
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
3 tbsp of chopped pistachios
1 tbsp chopped almonds
1 tbsp Arabic gum – pre-fried in ghee and puffed up (optional)
1 tbsp golden raisins
½ cup whole milk
2 – 3 tbsp ghee

Method:

  1. Heat a wok style pan and add ghee on medium heat. Add all the dry fruit and let them change colour slightly. . Add puffed gum at this point if using.
  2. Now add the coconut and then semolina, cook on very low heat stirring constantly and not letting the mixture burn and allow to cook evenly
  3. Add sugar and keep mixing the semolina. Add milk to bind and now switch off the heat.
  4. Add cardamom powder and mix well. Place in a flat dish and allow to cool for a few minutes.
  5. Once slightly cool, take a small amount of the semolina and make tiny ladoos, round balls the size of golf-balls. Place on a dish and allow to cool for 1-2 hours.
  6. These keep in the fridge for 1 week and outside in a covered container for 2-3 days – best eaten at room temperature.
Silk rose in photos by Lotus Blu


Post a Comment